11 Jan Veterinarians’ Day at the Capitol 2019
Legislative Day Is Almost Here!
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
8AM – 3PM
Check-in & registration begin at 7:30AM
Georgia Freight Depot – Blue Room
65 Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. SW
Atlanta, GA 30303
Legislative day will take place across from the State Capitol at the Georgia Freight Depot. Parking is available there or at a public lot further down on the right.
Why you should attend:
- 5 hours of FREE CE for GVMA Members, including 2 hours of LEAP!
- Free breakfast and lunch
- Learn the important role veterinarians can play in shaping public policy
- Interact with state elected and government officials and see the Georgia Assembly in action
- Presentations from elected officials – past speakers have included the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Speaker of the House, Secretary of State, Commissioner of Agriculture, and many prominent Senators and Representatives.
- Visit to the capitol
- Examination of legislative issues that affect veterinarians such as compounding legislation, the veterinary practice act and more
Please invite your legislator to attend breakfast. It’s convenient and free! Plus, this is your chance to introduce your legislator to veterinary medicine.
PLEASE NOTE: If you plan to invite any legislators, please do so for breakfast (we have traditionally invited them to join us for lunch). Our government relations firm, Fiveash-Stanley, has advised that we invite them for breakfast since most will be wanting to wrap things up and head out of town early that day due to the 2019 Super Bowl being in town.
This event is sponsored by the GVMA Advocacy Committee at no cost to members. Non-members are asked a fee of $250.
Registration will begin at 7:30 AM
8:00 AM: Registration / Welcome: Dr. Mike Zager – President, GVMA
8:15 AM: Dr. Lisa Nolan – Dean – UGA CVM GVMA Advocacy:
8:30 AM: Breakfast/Time with Legislators
9:15 AM: Dr. Vince Obsitnik – Overview of National and State Legislative Issues
9:35 AM: Bryan Fiveash (Fiveash / Stanley) – Top legislative issues of importance to Georgia veterinarians
– State Capitol Visit (walk over @ 9:35)
9:45 AM: Photo on Capitol Steps
10:10 AM: Small Group Meetings with Legislators/Primer on Legislative Process, Betsy Choder, Esq.
– Return to Blue Room: Freight Depot (walk over @ 11:15)
11:20 AM: AVMA Update – Dr. Seyedmehdi Mobini, GVMA/AVMA Delegate
11:35 AM: Dr. Robert Cobb – Georgia State Veterinarian
11:45 AM: Dr. Beckey Malphus – President, Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine
12:00 PM: Lunch
12:30 PM: Don Riddick, Esq. / Domestic Animal Laws in Georgia
2:00 PM: Closing Remarks